Monday, October 11, 2004

Recipes 'n' stuff

A month ago, I promised to post my tortilla soup recipe. I'm going to make it again this week with a few final tweaks, then post it. I think I've finally gotten it where I want it.

I also made a delicious low-fat pumpkin bread, and that recipe is here now.


Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
15 oz canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
4 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 7x3 inch loaf pans.

2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, applesauce, water, vanilla and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared loaf pans.

3. Bake for 60-75 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Notes:

You may prefer to reduce the amount of spices. I like mine with lots of flavor!

Also, you could try replacing two of the eggs with non-fat Egg Beaters to reduce the fat content even further. I haven't tried that so I'm not sure how it ill affect the texture of the bread. As written, it is already moist and dense, more like a cake.

I decorated the top of the loaves by sprinkling sliced almonds on them before baking. As soon as I removed the bread from the oven, I sifted a very fine dusting of powdered sugar over the top of each loaf. Pretty and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment